Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Carving the Dragon

I first tried to ensure I had the slope of the back of the dragon right and that the dragons proportions would fit in the block of wood. I also left a section of wood running down the back that I intended to carve spines from at a later date.









I then started carving the rough shape and position of the back and front leg on the right side of its body, whilst leaving my pencil drawing the other side.


I didn’t want to carve too much detail at this stage but was concentrating more on getting the positioning right.










I had also refined the shape of the head although I left the bottom jaw fairly thick at this stage so that I could make more refinements if needed. I was really pleased with how the eyes had turned out and could really imagine what the head would look like when it was finished.

1 comment:

Woodwosecarving said...

I await the next posting. this is very inspiring for a fellow carver.

Dave